Saturday, August 19, 2006

Creating expandable posts

Since this blog was created as a learning exercise, I've been interested in looking at the creations of some of my peers, and making note of features in their blogs that I'd like mine to have. One such feature, which I noticed on Talk Nerd's blog (nice job!), is the ability to include expandable posts. I thought this would be a nice feature, since I have a tendency to prattle on. Read on...
Well, for anyone using Blogger Help for this feature, I don't need to tell you that it has some drawbacks. I think Atilla at Pillage Idiot says it best. Here's a snippet.

Ever think about doing expandable posts, the way people with other blogging hosts can do? You know, those thingies with "Read more" at the bottom, where you click and open up a longer post? Well, don't bother with Blogger's official "hack" here. Any hack that tells you it has a bug (which it calls a "feature") and says that "[m]odifying this feature is left as an exercise for the reader" should be avoided. It reminds me of when I studied math in college. The proofs would often leave out something important, and the texts would say that proving what was left out was an exercise for the reader. Thanks a bunch!

I've researched the expandable post problem and have discovered an elegant solution at a blog called No Fancy Name.


Perhaps when Blogger Beta is available to everyone, they'll include an easy way to expand posts, but in the meantime I checked out Julie's hack at No Fancy Name. And you can see how it works. go to main page

4 Comments:

Blogger HeleneB said...

I love the new blog look. It looks good on you :)

9:10 AM  
Blogger JM said...

Hi - glad it was useful. From what I can tell, there's no native expandable post integration in Blogger Beta, so it'll still be something one has to hack into the template.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information. I'll have to look into adding this to my blog. It will make it look so much more streamlined and easy to read.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Public Art Committee said...

Thanks for the info!

I'm not comfortable with HTML, but the instructions were easy to follow and it really worked!

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home