Sunday, August 20, 2006

Some time in the garden with Scout


Scout in the garden, originally uploaded by Salad Days Forever.

For me, Summer is all about spending as much time outside as possible. This afternoon, after enjoying a day outdoors in my garden with my cat Scout following a few steps behind, I thought it might be a good opportunity to take a few pictures for the Learning 2.0 discovery exercises about Flickr. The photo above is Scout resting in the shade near my green onions. (Don't be fooled by her innocent face. She's sitting on the Romaine lettuce.)

I practice an organic method of space-intensive gardening called "square foot gardening" (literally, the garden is divided into square feet for planting). It's a method developed by Mel Bartholomew in the 1970's, and he's written several books, many of which are good helpers to me. I'm able to have a pretty productive garden in just a 4' x 8' plot, and there's practically no weeding necessary.

I don't know many people who practice square foot gardening, so it was a surprise (and delight) to type in the phrase into Flickr and see so many pictures of beautiful square foot gardens. You can see my garden on Flickr, or you can search for the tag "square foot gardening" and see others.

I've discovered a whole new resource for my hobby, and I'm thrilled!

7 Comments:

Blogger Salad Days said...

PE - thanks for the comments! I've fixed the link to the parking game. You should be able to click on the image now. Give it a try and let me know how you do.

Always a pleasure to meet another square foot gardener. Even if they aren't currently "practicing" members. =)

6:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to find another fan of lettuce! Please visit a site that I have found most interesting: http://putnam.k12.il.us/Lettuce.htm Let me know what you think!

2:56 PM  
Blogger Salad Days said...

Thanks so much for the link to the lettuce site on the Putnam County, Illinois high school web site. What a neat school project for learning about building web sites -- "Adopt a Vegetable." It made me smile to see the web page. It reminded me of my Midwestern youth.

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It reminds me of your Midwestern youth, too.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Booklogged said...

I recognized your square foot garden even before I read the post. We do this, too. Amazing how much produce you can harvest is such small, manageable spaces.

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, the cat is so cute! I love your blogger template. Great blog.

6:23 AM  
Blogger Angela said...

Cute cat. I have three myself, and in my version of Heaven I am surrounded by purring cats and good books.... and maybe a James Bond marathon on TV.

7:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home