Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Web-based Apps

Discovery exercise #18: Web-based Apps: There not just for desktops
I'd have to rank this learning exercise right up there on top as far as usefulness-for-library-staff-interested-in-helping-patrons. I positively love web-based apps and feel that they're a great asset to anyone jumping from computer to computer (home to work... work to relative's house... relative's house to Internet cafe...etc.). I played around with the word processing tools of Zoho Writer, but frankly, I'm more intrigued by the web-based spreadsheet software since I use spreadsheets to do most of my personal budgeting and cash flow tracking. (Yes, I know there are applications like Microsoft Money for stuff like that, but I still love creating my own cash flow statements in Excel. It's probably not the best use of those college financial management classes I took, but whatever. It's not like I have any pressing need to calculate the present value of an annuity.) Anyway, lots of potential here. Must continue exploring...