Tuesday, October 03, 2006

YouTube recut

Discovery Exercise #20: You too can YouTube
Finally, a chance to share one of my favorite YouTube fake movie trailers, "Sleepless In Seattle: Recut as a horror movie." First of all, let me just say how fascinated I am by the power of editing technique and music to create atmosphere. Movie trailers encapsulate this skill due to their inherent brevity, but they're also a hoot when re-cut by someone with a sly sense of humor. Meg Ryan as psychopathic stalker? Run, Tom... run for your life!

YouTube has so much possibility. I also wonder how much influence it's having over what's shown on "regular" television. Several weeks ago I noticed that the treadmill video by the band "OK Go" was surfacing on YouTube's popular list. And just this past weekend I noticed that it was now on VH1's Top 20 video countdown. Cause and effect? Hard to tell anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home